31 October 2010

Holiday

This morning, I wished A a Happy Halloween.  He said I’m the only person who’s ever wished him that.  Although I can’t be sure, he may have said something else which I will refrain from printing.  

In spite of what appears to be a view that Halloween with all its trappings is a very American tradition, it does seem to have caught on in the UK!  We went for a drive last night and, to my delight, there were clever costumes on several corners.  The shops were certainly full of varied Halloween dress options.  Well, perhaps not exactly full … but they did have one third of an entire aisle dedicated to the purpose!  Someone even eagerly let off fireworks briefly last evening (though I suspect that was really a very premature keenness for the upcoming Guy Fawkes festivities the 5th of November).  Missing, were the decorations on every porch, and jack o’lanterns carved from pumpkins lit from within by candles.   

I asked A if children come to the door in costume ‘trick or treat’ing, and he reluctantly admitted that there is the occasional knock at the door.   Needless to say we are buying treats to have at the ready!  (A can always take the leftovers to work with him where I am sure they can be put to good use).  

A muttered grumpily a few times this morning about my Halloween greetings upon waking this morning.  Perhaps it’s not as much a cultural disparity as it is a personal difference.   To be fair, not everyone was brought up to embrace every ‘holiday’ with gusto.  Even the word ‘holiday’ seems to have different interpretations on either side of the Atlantic.   In the UK, a holiday usually connotates a day or more off work – sometimes for a purpose (e.g. Christmas, New Year, and interestingly May Day), and sometimes not (e.g. Bank holiday for no discernable reason other than a day away from work).  In the USA, a holiday is simply a word we can use to describe every occasion worth noting, observing, or celebrating, whether we have an accompanying day off work or not (e.g. Valentine’s Day, St. Patrick’s Day, April Fool’s Day, Thanksgiving, et al).  

A mentioned what he refers to as ‘British’ disdain (or is it merely A’s disdain) for American ‘Hallmark Holidays’, which are viewed to be purely commercial opportunities for greeting card companies as opposed to actual commemorations of anything worthy.  He has a point … but only to a point.  I don’t excitedly awake in eager anticipation of celebrating, say, National Bath Safety Month, or Festival of Sleep Day (though I should consider this one!).  There are some interesting ones out there.  However, I admit that I do still get excited about Groundhog Day.  

It seems that A might merely be a ‘Grinch’ in general regarding certain ‘holidays’ while I in contrast still approach most of them with lingering childlike glee.   In any case, I look forward to discovering new excuses to celebrate as I learn a few new-to-me traditions in the UK. 


Happy Halloween!!




National Cookie Month … hooray! 




4 comments:

  1. Happy Halloween Sunflowery. Master M has made a pumpkin lantern, we also have some sweets to give as treats for the other children who will come and knock.

    Hugs RosieP x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Halloween, your first UK holiday. They might not celebrate Halloween in the UK with the same enthusiam that they do in the USA, but you will now get the benefit of Bonfire Night. Plus when did you ever remember fireworks for Halloween in the USA? I hear fireworks going off right now as I write this and will hear it every night till about the middle of Nov., as we have also heard for the last 2 weeks. Might as well call it Fireworks month.
    I am enjoying your observations as you settle into your new life. Or I should probably say adjust to your new life. I had many of the same observations as you have had so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Halloween to you as well! My husband and I had the very same discussion about Halloween just a couple of days ago! I had no idea about how differently the two countries celebrated! I have to chuckle as I read your entries as some of your observations are so similiar to mine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, everyone! We ended up with 4 trick or treaters in total. I think the next noticeable void is going to be ... Thanksgiving! Looking forward to Bonfire Night!

    ReplyDelete